Mariología: María en la Fe Católica
This course is available upon request by partner dioceses. Prior completion of the course "El Camino de la Fe" is recommended. For more information, contact Esther Terry.
The most holy virgin Mary is our model of faith, our intercessor and mother who accompanies us throughout our lives. This course studies the basic doctrines about Mary in the Gospels and in the teachings of the Catholic Church. It also considers her role in our spiritual lives, in the liturgy, and in Hispanic spirituality. The goal is that you and other participants in the course will get to know Mary better, so that you may love her and live each day as her sons and daughters.
Unit 1: Mary in the Gospels
Unit 2: Marian Dogmas
Unit 3: Mary in Contemporary Teachings of the Magisterium
Unit 4: Mary in Devotion, Liturgy, and the Communion of Saints
Unit 5: Mary in Hispanic Spirituality
- Catecismo de la Iglesia Católica (available online)
- Catholic Bible
- Brief texts and links to online materials will accompany each unit to round out the experience of course participants
- Weekly reading of assigned texts and materials
- Participation in class discussions in the forums (minimum of two comments, questions or responses each week)
- Written assignment (between 150 and 200 words)
- Weekly chat session (minimum 4 chats)
- 4 to 6 hours per week (this varies from student to student depending on learning style and available study time)
- A Certificate of Completion awarding 30 Contact Hours will be sent upon completion of all course requirements.
Meet the Developer
Timothy Matovina, PhD
Timothy Matovina has more than thirty years of experience working in Hispanic communities. He has written various books and articles about history, theology, ministry, and religious traditions of Hispanics in the United States. He also gives presentations about the same themes in diocesan events and pastoral institutes. He is currently Professor of Theology and Co-Director of the Institute for Latino Studies at the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana.
Course development made possible through a generous grant by the Our Sunday Visitor Institute.